Take care everyone!
Empowering Latino Futures
formerly Latino Literacy Now
LATINO EVENTS NEWS
Started in 2019 as a monthly eNewsletter to 6,340 professionals and people interested in Latino events. This was the evolution of a newsletter for the Latino Book & Family Festivals that was started in 1999. The First festival was celebrated in 1997, and 68 Festivals have been held since then in eight markets around the USA including Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, San Bernardino, and San Diego.
This newsletter is intended for those interested in the Latino community, business, and professional events around the USA. This 2020, the situation with COVID-19 has created a new focus for this newsletter which will be on webinars, digital events, and podcasts.
Goal: To fill a void in information about Latino events and increase learning and professional development.
Este boletín de eventos empezó el 2019 con circulación mensual dirigido a 6,340 profesionales y personals interesadas en eventos de crecimiento para la comunidad Latina. Este fue presentado como la nueva imagen del boletín que empezó en 1999 para la audiencia de Latino Book & Family Festivals. Estos festivales de libros fueron el inicio de grandes logros y recursos traídos a las comunidades alrededor de Estados Unidos incluyendo ciudades como Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, San Bernardino, y San Diego. Hasta la fecha 67 festivales se han celebrado y en 2020 el festival número 68 se celebrará de forma virtual por un periodo de varias semanas (2-3 horas por semana).
Este boletín se enfoca en la comunidad Latina, negocios, y eventos profesionales alrededor de Estados Unidos principalmente. Debido a la situación de salud con respecto a COVID-19, este 2020 el boletín se enfocará en eventos digitales, seminarios, y podcasts.
Meta: Proveer información sobre eventos para los Latinos y fomentar el aprendizaje y desarrollo professional.
PASEOS POR AQUI – Virtual Tours
Welcome to our Latino Parent’s Corner. Sharing local activities, new bilingual children’s books, and free family-friendly entertainment.
In these times when many of us are at home with our young ones, it is a good moment to get creative.
Write a letter to a pen pal!
If you don’t have one, you can write to me, Grandma G, I promise I will write back.
Grandma G Baker
5220 Fiore Terrace, #105
San Diego, CA 92122
Many Museums Offer Virtual Tours
- British Museum, London. Tour the Great Court and discover the ancient Rosetta Stone and Egyptian mummies. You can also find hundreds of artifacts on the museum’s virtual tour.
- Guggenheim Museum, New York. Tour the Guggenheim’s famous spiral staircase and discover incredible works of art from the Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, Modern, and Contemporary eras.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. Two online exhibits: American fashion and a collection of works from Dutch Baroque painter Johannes Vermeer.
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris. You can virtually walk through this gallery that houses dozens of famous works from French artists
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles. European artworks from as far back as the 8th Century can be found in this California art museum. Take a Street View tour
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City. Archaeology and history of Mexico’s pre-Hispanic heritage. There are 23 exhibit rooms.
- Boston Children’s Museum. Explore the museum virtually.
- Louvre museum in Paris, France. Visit the museum’s exhibition rooms and galleries, contemplate the façades of the Louvre.
- deYoung Art Museum in San Francisco, CA. American painting, sculpture, and decorative arts from the seventeenth to the twenty-first centuries; art from Africa, Oceania, and the Americas; costume and textile arts; and international modern and contemporary art.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Self-guided virtual tours, room-by-room tours of select exhibits, and areas within the museum.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The Met’s art and architecture in a fresh, immersive way. Created using spherical 360° technology, it allows viewers to explore some of the Museum’s iconic spaces as never before.
Other Virtual Tours
- Great Wall of China. Virtual Tour
- Animal live-cams from around the world, including eagles, tigers, service dogs, and walruses
- American National Parks. A virtual guided tour journey around the great reserves.
- Canadian farms. Immerse yourself in Canadian farm and food tours.
- Access Mars. Mars from pictures from NASA’s Curiosity rover
- Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona, Spain. Virtual visit.
A quality forum where Award Winning Books are presented on a consistent basis. Podcasting is the fastest-growing media in the USA, and is a perfect platform for this type of content. For people who love books by and about Latinos.
2019 Latino Events News
FREE WEBINARS | Seminarios en línea Gratuitos
Reduce Energy Use at Home
The current COVID-19 pandemic has impacted families across the world and has resulted in more families staying at home due to California’s shelter-in-place order. However, more time at home doesn’t mean you have to see high energy bills. SDG&E has a webpage filled with tips, tools and programs that can help you reduce your energy use while at home. For energy-saving tips, visit sdge.com/whenmatters-save
EmpowerinG Webinar Series
Free series of workshops on digital learning in partnership with Grow With Google. The first part in the series is available here >
Seminarios de Aprendizaje digital
Esta serie de seminarios es gratuita. En asociación con Grow With Google. La primera parte ya esta disponible aquí >
National Latin@ Network archive
Public policy, advocacy, & Immigration
Community initiatives, Program development
Health related & Research
Culturally specific approaches & practices. Start learning >
Ideas & Inspiration for Educators
Join authors and experts as they showcase new Pearson educational programs, resources, and practices. Weekly webinars related to math, literacy, humanities, science, Pre-K, author, CTE, etc. Free webinars >
Nuestras Voces(Our Voices) Network
Initiative from the CDC Networking2Save for public health-oriented strategies to impact the prevalence of commercial tobacco use & tobacco related cancers. Free webinars & training >